If you’re looking to make the most of your weekends this year, you might want to consider a cheap UK weekend break for under £100.
Staycations are the ideal way to see more of our great nation, without spending too much money.
We’ve put together a list of ideas for weekend trips in the UK for under £100 per person. Plus, we’ve got some recommendations for the best free things to do in each destination. So, it’s time to get booking…
Caravanning in Cornwall
Full of cheap and free activities to keep you busy, Cornwall is the perfect destination for a UK weekend break.
With caravans starting from less than £30 a night, a trip to the seaside doesn’t need to cost you a bucket load!
6 Free things to do in Cornwall:
- Hit the beaches
- Visit the Cornish Camels near St Keverne
- Explore the gardens and parkland at Mount Edgcumbe Country Park in Cremyll
- Hike the South West Coast Path
- Explore the woodlands and forests – such as Cardinham Woods
- Bike the Camel Trail cycle path from from Bodmin to Padstow
Edinburgh City Break
A bit of savvy research can turn up some amazing deals on a weekend break to Edinburgh. If you book early enough and can be flexible with dates, you can grab return flights for as little as £30 per person.
Alternatively, advance train tickets from London go on sale 12 weeks before travel, and start from only £45.
Hotels just outside the city centre can cost as little as £40-£50 a night, so it’s possible to do the whole thing for less than £100 per person. You might have to hunt around a bit, but it will be worth it to get a city break at bargain prices.
6 Free things to do in Edinburgh:
- Hike to the top of Arthur’s Seat for a view of the city
- Visit the Botanical Gardens
- Watch street performers on the Royal Mile
- Explore the Scottish National Gallery
- Visit St Giles Cathedral
- Walk around the pretty villages of Leith and Dean Village
Book an Airbnb in Newcastle Upon Tyne
Airbnb is a great way to explore a new city without breaking the bank.
Not only are the homes often much cheaper than hotels, but with access to a kitchen you can prepare your own food to save money. In Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, one or two bedroom apartments start from £34 a night – perfect for a budget weekend break in the UK!
6 Free things to do in Newcastle-Upon Tyne:
- Visit a City Farm at Ouseburn Farm
- Visit the Angel of the North
- Delve into the city’s history at Discovery Museum
- Explore the Quayside Market on Sunday
- Cycle along the Tyne
- Watch a free classic movie at the Tyneside Bar and Café every Sunday
Glamping in Norfolk
As glamping becomes increasingly popular, you can find incredible, and unusual, camping options all over the UK.
In popular destinations the prices can be fairly extravagant, but head somewhere that’s less in-demand and you can grab a bargain. In Norfolk, for example, you could stay in a luxury bell tent, a shepherd’s hut, a yurt, or even a converted horsebox! The pastel-painted beach hut cabins at Diglea Caravan Park start from just £40 a night and look perfect for a weekend away with a difference.
6 Free things to do in Norfolk:
- Explore Norwich cathedral
- Go birdwatching in the Titchwell Marsh Nature Reserve
- Visit the Dad’s Army Museum
- Hit the beaches
- Visit Wells Lifeboat Station in Wells-next-the-Sea
- Wander the remains of Thetford Priory
Explore Pembrokeshire in Wales
The most popular coastal destination in Wales, Pembrokeshire is perfect for a UK weekend break. Even more so if you’re a keen walker!
The Pembrokeshire Coast National Park is the only coastal national park of its kind in the UK, and you can walk the length of it following the Pembrokeshire Coast Path. Rooms in local hotels start from around £40 a night, so this is a perfect destination if you’re on a budget.
5 Free things to do in Pembrokeshire: