FREEPHONE 0800 888 6195   Contact Us

Travel insurance frequently asked questions (FAQ’s)

Search Form
  • Keyword
  • Days
  • Min Price
  • Max Price

Free online quote

Retrieve a quote

Retrieve a quote


Below is a selection of questions frequently asked about travel insurance. If your question is not answered, or if you would like some further information, then please call our friendly sales team on 0800 888 6195 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm).
The Insurer

This insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE, an Ergo Group Company registered in Germany as Europäische Reiseversicherung A.G. and trading in the United Kingdom as ETI International Travel Protection, Companies House Registration FC 25660 and Branch Registration BR 007939.

Country geographic definitions are provided in the Geographical Areas in your policy wording.
Yes, trips within the UK are covered provided you have a minimum of two consecutive nights pre-booked accommodation. Please read the policy terms and conditions in regard to the sections of cover which apply when travelling in the UK.
The excess is the first part of the claim that you are responsible for and is payable by you – details of the excesses are shown in the Table of Benefits in the policy wording. By purchasing the Deluxe policy or an excess waiver option, the excess is reduced to £0 and you would therefore not be responsible for making any payment toward the claim.
Yes, repatriation is included under the Medical Expenses section of the policy. If you need to be repatriated back to the UK please make sure that you contact the 24 hour medical emergency assistance company in advance as detailed in your policy wording who will check if the circumstances are covered within your policy.
Yes, we cover you for pre-existing medical conditions which are disclosed to us and we agree to cover. Please call us on 0800 222 9141 if you are experiencing any problems with declaration of your conditions on our website.
Your policy wording booklet confirms the insured events of cover for cancelling and cutting short your holiday. If your circumstances are covered then you will need to register a claim with our claims department. Please ensure you have your policy schedule at hand when calling them.
We do not consider pregnancy or childbirth to be an illness or injury. To be clear, we only provide cover under sections 1 and 2 – Cancelling and cutting short your holiday, 3 – Medical Emergency Expenses, Repatriation and Hospital Daily Benefit. Please make sure you read the definition of ‘Complications of pregnancy’ in the ‘Definitions’ section of the policy wording booklet.

A pre-existing medical condition is defined by the policy as:

·       Any past or current medical condition that has given rise to symptoms, or for which any form of treatment, or prescribed medication, medical consultation, investigation, or follow-up/check-up, has been required, or received, during the 2 years prior to the commencement of cover under this policy, prior to buying this policy or anytime between the date you bought this policy and the date of departing on a trip; and/or,
·       Any cardiovascular or circulatory condition (e.g. Heart condition, hypertension, blood clots, raised cholesterol, stroke, aneurysm, or brain haemorrhage) that has occurred at any time prior to the commencement of cover under this policy, prior to buying this policy or anytime between the date you bought this policy and the date of departing on a trip.

Common Questions
Yes, adults travelling on the annual policy may travel independently. Children can travel independently as long as accompanied by a responsible adult over the age of 18.
Yes, your personal possessions are covered up to the limit of your opted policy. Please see the Table of Benefits in the policy wording for further details and the terms and conditions which apply.
Make sure that you report the loss or theft to the police within 48 hours of the discovery of loss or theft and obtain a written report from the police, then contact the claims service on your return to the UK. Please see the Table of Benefits in the policy wording for further information on the limits of cover.
We recommend that you take your policy wording and validation certificate with you.
You can take an unlimited number of trips on an annual policy, as long as you do not exceed 183 days in total, with a maximum trip duration of 35 or 50 days depending on your age.
No, you do not need to tell us each time you travel however you do need to make us aware of any change in your circumstances that happens after the policy has been issued and before you travel.
Yes, you can buy a policy for travel today. Please click here for a quote or alternatively call us on 0800 888 6195. Please note that in order to take out our travel insurance, you must physically be in the UK and not have started your trip.
We have no upper age limit for both our Single Trip and Annual policies. The length of time you can travel is dependent on your age at the time of policy purchase.
Our annual policies offer cover for maximum trip durations of 50 days to clients aged up to 70 years of age. A 35 day trip duration applies for our clients aged 71 and over.
Cover applies for the duration of your trip as stated on your Validation Certificate provided it does not exceed a maximum of:
Age Europe all countries WW Excluding WW Including
0-65 550 days
66-70 366 days 276 days 184 days
71-75 366 days 184 days 123 days


You must have lived in the United Kingdom, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands for at least six of the last 12 months, but not necessarily continuously, before you bought or renewed your policy. If these conditions do not describe you, we recommend Staysure, our partner in travel insurance provision.
Yes, please call our friendly sales team on 0800 888 6195 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm).
Insurance terminology
IPT is Insurance Premium Tax. It is a government tax at the rate of 20% and is included in all of our prices.
This means to return to your country of origin.
All of our travel insurance policies include free cover for over 60 sports and activities such as bungee jumping and jet skiing. For the full list of activities that are included in the policy please see the policy wording.
Yes, off piste skiing is covered as long as you are under the supervision of a professional guide within a recognised ski resort, and have purchased a policy with winter sports cover. 
If you have purchased a Classic or Deluxe Annual Multi-Trip insurance policy then you are covered up to a maximum of 17 consecutive days per policy year up to the age of 70 years. 
Winter sports cover is provided up to and including the age of 70 years on annual policies. For Single Trip polices you will need to purchase Winter Sports Travel Insurance as an Add-on. 

   I’m very very pleased with the help I had with booking insurance for my husband and myself for trip to Tenerife, will be sure to use them [Avanti travel insurance] again
Mrs Dingwall – North Yorkshire

Would an annual policy save you money?

Going on more than one holiday this year? Annual travel insurance may work out cheaper, allowing UNLIMITED trips for up to 183 days over a 12 month period


Essentials, Classic and Deluxe Policy wording document

Cruise Policy wording document

Subscribe to our newsletter

Get the latest special offers from us and travel news and tips from around the world