Unsure about FCDO travel advice, travel rules or Covid Cover? - Find out more

Call our UK Contact Centres FREE

0800 888 6195 We're open 7 days a week

Travel & Covid: How we’re protecting our customers

suitcase with facemask and passport covid

Planning a trip sometime soon? To help give you peace of mind, we’ve put together some information about how Covid is affecting travel.

Find out how to update your plans, what your travel insurance policy covers you for, and where to find other important information you might need.

Am I covered for Covid?

When you take out a travel insurance policy with us, Covid Cover comes as standard. If you bought your policy on or after 29 April 2021, here’s what’s included:

  • Covid-related emergency medical and repatriation expenses
  • Cancellation or cutting your trip short for Covid-related reasons
  • Additional accommodation/transport if you need it*
  • Daily benefit if you need to self-isolate with Covid while you’re away

Find out more on our Covid Cover page.

Can I travel against FCDO advice?

The FCDO has two levels of advice: against ‘all but essential travel’ and against ‘all travel’. This advice is designed to let travellers know if the country they want to visit is safe.

If the FCDO advise against travel to a country, be that ‘all but essential travel’ or ‘all travel’ you may find that your holiday is rearranged or cancelled.

If the FCDO says ‘all but essential travel’ is allowed to a European country, and you must travel, we can help. Our European FCDO Travel Advice Extension add-on gives you a level of cover if you need to travel for essential reasons.

What rules do I need to follow when I travel?

Each country has its own set of rules and guidelines when it comes to managing Covid. Despite restrictions easing in the UK, as a visitor you’ll be expected to follow local guidance during your trip.

Head to the FCDO travel advice website for the latest information on travel. As well as detailing entry requirements for each country, you can also read up on any Covid measures currently in place, like social distancing and mask wearing. It also tells you what to do if you test positive for Covid while on holiday.

Find out more by reading our ‘travelling during coronavirus’ blog.

What tests do I need to take?

What tests you’ll need depend on where you’re travelling to, and whether you qualify as fully vaccinated at your destination.

More countries are now accepting the faster lateral flow tests, but plenty still require PCR tests which may include having to self-isolate until you have proof of a negative test result.

You’ll be able to find this out when you look into the entry requirements for where you’re going.

To make it easier for you to get travelling again, we’ve teamed up with Randox Health to give you a 10% discount✝ on Covid tests for travel.

What if my holiday can’t go ahead?

If your holiday can’t go ahead, you need to contact your holiday provider to see what options are open to you. They might offer you alternative dates or suggest a different destination.

If you change your holiday dates or destination, remember to get in touch to update your single trip travel insurance policy. More information can be found below.

Can I change my dates?

If your travel provider needs to cancel your holiday, they should be responsible for rearranging your travel dates.

If you rebook your holiday, and you have a single trip policy, we can:

  • Move your policy start date as long as it’s within 18 months of the date you bought your policy. This window increases to 24 months if you bought your policy after 29 April 2021.You must be eligible to make these changes and there may be an additional fee.

If you do need to make changes to your travel insurance policy, please get in touch with us before you were originally due to travel.


*Additional accommodation and transport will only be granted if it is deemed necessary by our medical officer.
✝Please note, offers can be changed and/or retracted at Randox’s discretion. Discount applies to home delivered COVID-19 tests only. This offer excludes tests bought for click and collect.

Get your quote